Crossroads UPC

Crossroads United Pentecostal Church was pioneered by faithful men and women of God who endured some of the hardest of times. In those early years, pastor’s wives often owned only one good dress, and preachers sometimes placed cardboard in their shoes to keep moisture from soaking through worn soles. Yet through sacrifice and perseverance, a lasting work was established.
In the late 1940s, Brother Robert Crocker established a small plank church on Mill Street Extension in Lucedale, Mississippi. Each Saturday morning, he would travel to Crossroads to pick up 12-year-old Frances Cochran (Trotter) and her sister Ellena. Together they would sing, while Brother Crocker played his box guitar and preached in multiple locations, including Leakesville, Citronelle, and Stateline.
In 1948, Brother Crocker also erected a tent for meetings in Buzzard Roost, just up the road from Crossroads, while Brother Hal Kennedy taught youth Sunday School under a large sweet gum tree. Another tent was later set up at Shelby Rogers Road and Crossroads, though it was eventually moved due to limited parking. Services were often held multiple times on Sundays as the work expanded across the region.
Brother Woodrow W. Page later assisted in the Crossroads work and, in 1953, secured property from Merlie Dixon where the church currently stands. He constructed the first brick building on the site. Through Brother Crocker’s early efforts, many families were reached, and churches were eventually established throughout George and Greene Counties.
Among those early saints, Sister Hulda Cochran is remembered for her faithful service in caring for pastors, their families, and visiting ministers. She provided meals, lodging, and hospitality during the formative years of the church, often with limited resources and no expectation of return.
As the work continued, leadership transitioned through several pastors, including Cecil Harris, James Blackburn, Frank Williamson, Rev. Givens (1967), Bro. Walter Sistrunk (1972), Rev. Frank Kendall, and Rev. White. During times of transition, Brother Earl Landrum often filled the gap, ministering with a burden for struggling churches and helping stabilize the congregation when needed.
In the mid-1970s, Rev. Ray Meadows and his wife, Sandy, pastored Crossroads for nearly two decades, providing stability and growth. After his tenure, Rev. Bill Moore filled the pulpit for a brief season of transition.
On June 1, 2002, Rev. Mike Dillon and his family came to pastor Crossroads United Pentecostal Church. With gratitude for its humble beginnings, they have continued to build upon the church’s rich heritage. Under his leadership, many have been born again, and the church continues to grow as it holds fast to holiness and Apostolic truth.
In recent years, Rev. Dillon received a vision for a new 14,440-square-foot church facility to accommodate continued growth and end-time revival. The church was able to purchase 10 acres on Crossroads Road and erect a new building on the land.
Though seasons have not always been easy, Crossroads remains committed to its mission. With a faithful remnant and a strong heritage, the church continues forward, believing and laboring together for a harvest of souls until the coming of the Lord.
